The importance of literature for Children

Children are born with the need to express themselves. They possess a natural instinct to be creative. We can encourage those instincts and basic needs by providing them with unstructured time to play, daydream, and explore. We can encourage their individual instincts for creativity by filling their worlds of wonder with art, music, dance, wordplay and rhyme. Enter the writing process with a childlike sense of wonder and discovery. Let it surprise you. "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein One such creative style, involving the skill of writing, can be developed in children at a very young age. Because communication is crucial to our society, teaching children to write well will often lead to children, and adults, who can communicate well. Therefore, finding creative options for our children to develop writing skills will set the foundation for many additional years of creative writing and learning.

Monday, October 8, 2012

It should also begin with an introduction...

Hey! My name's Lina. I'm a writer and I've been running a creative writing class at an after school program for over two years now. Recently, as I was contemplating the difficulty of finding fun writing activities for kids/preteen, I thought "Maybe it's because of people like you who don't post what works for you!" Which is what brought me here, on blogger, starting a blog that features the activities and ideas - for not only creative writing but also language comprehension in general - for children. I will also let you know how it worked when I did it. Perhaps, it didn't work with a big group, or younger children struggled with it, or children with ADHD loved it, these are comments I will leave to assist anyone else out there struggling to find some great activities that work and interest children.

(Plus, this will also work as a great archive and reference for myself lol! I'm always losing my old activities sheets...)  

Anyhow, I cannot wait to share with all of you the ideas I have created with this bizarre - yet quite helpful when working with children - mind of mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment